fedora.com, is this for real?

Steven Bakker sb at monkey-mind.net
Tue Nov 13 11:35:33 UTC 2007

On Mon, 12 Nov 2007 19:24:01 -0700 Stephen John Smoogen wrote:

> > > http://www.fedora.com/
> > >

> > It looks like Network Solutions is back into the domain squatting
> > again

Heh, for a moment I thought SiteFinder was back. ;-)

However, it looks like the domain's been registered _through_ NetSol, but
not _by_ NetSol itself (read the paragraph at the bottom of the whois
output):

  This listing is a Network Solutions Private Registration. Mail
  correspondence to this address must be sent via USPS Express Mail(TM) or
  USPS Certified Mail(R); all other mail will not be processed. Be sure to
  include the registrant's domain name in the address.

IOW, NetSol is the registrar, not the registrant.

The "fedora.com" page (and others like it) links to www.information.com
and they seem to be the folks who registered this domain (along with a
bunch of others).

On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 08:34:12 +0100 Nicolas Mailhot wrote:

> The nice thing is that since it's clearly fedoraproject cybersquatting
> (as evidenced by the page content) should Red Hat lawyers
> challenge Network Solutions I don't see how they could justify
> before a judge keeping the domain.

This would be quite easy to do, I imagine:

  http://www.icann.org/udrp/udrp.htm

Cheers,
Steven