Review queue/FESCo after the merge

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Wed Nov 14 21:59:02 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Wed, 14 Nov 2007 21:16:36 +0100
> Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> wrote:
>
>> Look at it this way, Fedora is all about Freedom, but since the
>> merger the Freedom for contributers (esp. packagers) has been greatly
>> reduced. Take the new release engineering proposals for example, I
>> have some ideas about this, but the entire release engineering crowd
>> had already precooked there ideas and unanimously disagreed with
>> mine, or atleast that is how I perceived this.
>>
>> Most typically of all this I guess is this alinea: This will probably
>> be my last mail in this thread, as I see no use in continuing this
>> dicussion, why? Because I no longer believe that discussions like
>> this will cause any changes.
>
> Wow, I am somewhat blindsided by this.
>
> I created the proposal after talking to some people and posted it out
> on the net for review, long before even the rel-eng group voted on it.
> I asked for all kinds of feed back, multiple times.  I had to get the
> releng group to agree to it, and FESCo an opportunity to agree to it.
> There was discussion on list and changes made.  What more were you
> looking for?

Being listened too? Please understand that this is just an example, the problem
is I entered the discussion, quickly got the idea things were pretty much set
in stone already, and left the discussion again.

With the big problem here being not rel-eng nor the rel-eng process, but me
getting the feeling that investing time in decision making discussions is
useless, as:
1) Things are already pretty much pre-cooked, when you say: "I created the
    proposal after talking to some people". I read "I created the
    proposal after talking to most of rel-eng". Don't get me wrong this is a
    logical thing todo, but if proposals get pre-cooked this way and I disagree
    I get to argue with rel-eng as a whole / as a block, since you already have
    reached a consensus on how things should be done, and even though there may
    have been different opinions in the past, everyone has now adjusted his
    opinion to the consensus (which is a normal thing todo for any human).

2) Because of 1) mainly I guess I do no get the feeling that people are
    actually listening to me.

Regards,

Hans