F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Christopher Stone chris.stone at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 17:46:21 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 9:33 AM, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
> On Thu, 15 Nov 2007 09:30:00 -0800
> John Poelstra <poelstra at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > I've been thinking the same thing...you also lose liferea and pidgin
> > which seems totally silly too!
> >
> > Which component(s) should a bug be filed against?
>
> You lose those because they have the capability of responding to
> NetworkManager connection/disconnection events so that they can do the
> right thing.  It would appear that they link to NetworkManager-glib,
> and thus if you remove -glib you lose them.

So I guess we need a pidgin-NM or something so pidgin can be installed
without NetworkManager.  I'm sure that there are hundreds of cases
like this in Fedora, and probably the #1 gripe among Fedora users
right now.  Modifying every package to split out every optional
component is a lot of work, but should be done.  I think an effort to
do this is key towards making Fedora a base distribution for all other
distributions.  The idea that you should install all optional
components for every package you install is good on paper but not in
practice, especially for making spins and custom distros.