F8 is getting *really* sysadmin-hostile

Jeff Spaleta jspaleta at gmail.com
Thu Nov 15 19:11:58 UTC 2007

On Nov 15, 2007 10:04 AM, Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> What good are clients without servers?  And what are you supposed to do
> with all of the server-side software that comes with fedora if you don't
> have a static IP?

The dhcp server here at work uses MAC address binding to give me the
same exact address every time my machine comes back online.  When my
'servers' are disconnected from the network noone else gets to reuse
that ip address and I always get the same address. It works quite
nicely.

Hell, my home router appliance lets me set up 'quasi-static' ip
addresses on the local network using mac address binding and hand them
out to computers via dhcp.  People show up with laptops, they get a
dhcp address from outside that quasi-static pool.. and at no point
does anyone on my network need to type in an ip address or network
mask.  Services work, because the dhcp servers I rely on are managed
intellegently enough to make this a non-issue.

-jef