Suggestions for F9

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Fri Nov 16 08:05:26 UTC 2007

Trever L. Adams wrote:
> I have been looking at Fedora to see what functionality it provides or,
> more importantly, doesn't which is useful to me at home and that I think
> business would like. I have provided a list of functionality (by
> programs which I think would best fit it) below. This is a list meant
> for Fedora 9.
>
> Thunderbird Enigmail
> What: 	A program which adds gnupg and s/mime support to Thunderbird
> Where: 	http://enigmail.mozdev.org/
> Why: 	This would greatly help people who want to use the same mail
> program in Windows/Linux or who think Evolution does a horrible job
> (such as full imap support). The 64 bit compiled version for Linux is
> only available via the website, not the add-ons functionality, it is
> usually behind, so an RPM would be great.
>
> Changes Needed: 	Unknown
>

> Thunderbird Lightning
> What: 	A program which adds gnupg and s/mime support to Thunderbird
> Where: 	http://www.mozilla.org/projects/calendar/lightning/
> Why: 	This would greatly help people who want to use the same mail
> program in Windows/Linux or who think Evolution does a horrible job
> (such as full imap support). No 64 bit precompiled version is available,
> so an RPM would be great. This finishes out helping Thunderbird fully
> replace Evolution and supports CalDAV.
> Changes Needed: 	Unknown
>

> Darwin Calendar Server
> What: 	A full CalDAV server which can be integrated with multiple
> authentication/group information schemes including Active Directory (via
> Samba for us).
>
> Where: 	http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/calendarserver
> Why: 	A calendar server really is a must. Since there is the open
> standard of CalDAV this should be supported. This particular server
> seems further along in development than most. It seems to be well
> designed and developed. Additionally, this is the one used by OS X. Why
> not reduce efforts and standardize? This is a good compliment to
> Thunderbird Lightning plugin.
> Changes Needed: 	Probably a few patches to Python Twister, but not many
> and may not be required long as efforts to sync up are in progress.
>

> Pykota
> What: 	A program which does accounting and quotas for printers
> Where: 	http://www.pykota.com/
> Why: 	It is good to be able to know who is printing and how much,
> possibly restricting this. I am using this at home and know business who
> use Linux (server and/or desktop) who would love this.
> Changes Needed:
>
>     * A use pykota option in system-config-printers for each printer.
>       This option should not appear for cups auto-configured printers as
>       the accounting should be done on the print server.
>     * Possibly a button which will open the pykota config for the
>       printer in system-config-printers.
>     * Add GhostPCL package (http://www.artifex.com/downloads/), now
>       under GPL 2

> [...]

Trever,

Thanks for this, I think those are good suggestions. However most Fedora
developers are already carying a pretty full workload as is. Have you
considered becoming a contributer yourself? I'm more then willing to guide you
on your initial steps, note I'm both an experienced packager and an experienced
(certified even) teacher.

Regards,

Hans