Push packages from diverse maintainers

Linus Walleij triad at df.lth.se
Fri Nov 16 21:38:58 UTC 2007

On Thu, 15 Nov 2007, Ignacio Vazquez-Abrams wrote:

>> So how do we *best* coordinate this?
>
> https://hosted.fedoraproject.org/projects/bodhi/ticket/79

Yeah OK, so blocking updates which breaks deps is a good idea. But will
this cause a catch 22-situation where I cannot push libmtp because if I
do, I break Amarok, and I cannot push Amarok too, because it is maintained
by Aurelien and I'm not allowed to push that.

This leads to a situation where a maintainer of a lib has to co-maintain
every package that is dependent on that lib, in order to be able to push
updates properly.

So to make things perfect, maintainers of packages that other packages
depend on should have their status escalated so that they can build and
push all dependent packages if need be. OR (and this may be easier) have a
mechanism to notify som dependency-engineer with access to everything to
do builds and pushes for her/him.

Linus