working with gnome project/other distros together on system tools (was: Re: System-config Reworking Proposal)

Nils Philippsen nphilipp at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 15:37:52 UTC 2007

On Mon, 2007-11-19 at 15:06 +0100, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:

> Just wondering: Why don't we work towards getting some sane config tools
> (seperated in UI, logic, ...) close to Gnome (and KDE, should there be
> interest)? Sure, that way other distros will benefit from out work as
> well, but on the other hand having stuff as de-facto part of Gnome and
> used by other distros afaics lead to better tools and a better user
> experience, which overall leads to a better "Linux".

AFAIK, some stuff, e.g. date and time setting via the time applet,
creating users, is already worked on for GNOME. Whether these will cover
all aspects (e.g. also server specific stuff), I don't know. Whether
these should cover non-desktop aspects at all can also be disputed ;-).

Certainly, once UI and logic of the existing tools are sufficiently
separated the logic could be used from applets/tools more tightly
integrated into the desktop environment of choice if there's the need.

Nils
     Nils Philippsen    /    Red Hat    /    nphilipp at redhat.com
 Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety."  --  B. Franklin, 1759