System-config Reworking Proposal

Steve Grubb sgrubb at redhat.com
Mon Nov 19 17:01:37 UTC 2007

Hi,

I kind of missed the beginning of this thread...too many things going on, but
this needs some discussion in my opinion.

>     * allows for centrally logging system-config actions (audit trail)

The audit trail we are currently maintaining is set in the audit system.
Whatever anyone designs needs to work correctly with the audit system since
it will be watching a lot of the config files. When someone is remotely
configuring a machine, the loginuid will need to be set correctly for the
remote user. Libaudit also has logging functions (with Python bindings) that
ensures all the important information is recorded in the audit trail. Besides
creating an audit trail, you also need a way to search for information in the
audit trail. The audit system already has the needed reporting tools and is
getting new GUI based tools in F9.

Thanks,
-Steve