libgpod soname bump coming to rawhide

Todd Zullinger tmz at pobox.com
Tue Nov 20 17:29:29 UTC 2007

libgpod 0.6.0 was released a week or so ago.  This release supports
the newer iPod models (iPhone, iTouch, Classics, and "Fat" Nanos).
I'd like to push this into rawhide tomorrow and let it get some
testing.  I'll rebuild amarok, gtkpod, kipi-plugins, and rhythmbox at
the same time.

This is definitely something I think warrants an update for F-8 and
F-7 after stewing in rawhide for a week or so.  The version in F-7 was
already getting old before this latest release.  Coupled with the
support for a lot of new hardware, I believe it is a compelling and
worthwhile update even on the stable dists.

While the library soname has been bumped, the changes are not very
invasive and none of the apps using libgpod need more than a
recompile.  Gtkpod is by far the most serious tester of the lib and
it's current release (0.99.10) doesn't even need any changes to work
with the update libgpod.  I've compile and runtime tested amarok,
kipi-plugins, and rhythmbox as well and all of them WORKFORME.

What I'd love some testing with is newer iPod models.  There will be a
README.SysInfo file in the updated package that details some steps to
take to get things working with those newer iPods.  There's also some
HAL integration that is intended to automate much of this for users.
Finding out just how well that all works and fixing any bugs there
before pushing it to the stable dists would be excellent.  That way
Fedora can have very good iPod support for all those folks picking up
new toys in the coming months. :)

The alternative is to tell users that they'll have to wait until
spring to support iPod models that have been out since last spring and
(and will have been supported in other distros for many months by that
point).

Are there any objections to this plan?

INDECISION is the key to FLEXIBILITY. Succeed in spite of management.