RFC: changing versioning of fedora-release in rawhide

Michael E Brown Michael_E_Brown at dell.com
Tue Nov 20 23:28:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, Nov 20, 2007 at 03:14:55PM -0500, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Jeremy Katz (katzj at redhat.com) said:
> > Realistically, you probably want the simple stupid plugin to allow you
> > to set the release version if you go this route.  But at the same time,
> > I don't think that the route of switching streams often is really a case
> > that you optimize for.
>
> Moreover, if you do the $releasever redirect hack, someone who has
> updates/updates-testing either gets errors or the same repo three times.

Actually, I dont understand why we dont have a "repo=stable", and
"repo=rawhide". Mirrormanager can be trivially extended to let you flip
'stable' repo to the next release a predefined amount of time after that
release.

Then people who always want latest stable will automatically be upgraded
to the next ver when it comes out, while people who want to stay on a specific
release can say "repo=fedora-$releasever"

For rawhide, make releasever=9 and have mirrormanager redirect it to
rawhide.

So, we have (defaults):

rpm name: fedora-release-9-1.prerelease.noarch.rpm
fedora.repo:              repo=stable, enabled=0
fedora-development.repo:  repo=rawhide, enabled=1

rpm name: fedora-release-9-1.noarch.rpm
fedora.repo:              repo=stable, enabled=1
fedora-development.repo:  repo=rawhide, enabled=0

People who want to track rawhide use --enablerepo. People who want to
lock down to a specific release can s/stable/fedora-$releasever/.

Or, alternatively, lock it down to a specific release by default, but
let people change it to 'stable' if they want.
--
Michael