WTF? Inaccessible bug reports?

Olivier Galibert galibert at pobox.com
Wed Nov 21 19:02:46 UTC 2007

On Wed, Nov 21, 2007 at 09:15:10AM -0600, Bruno Wolff III wrote:
> I still run Fedora 5 on one machine because of a kernel bug. It works well
> for me.

Oh yes, it was definitively a very good release.  It's still the #1
here.  Too bad it has issues with nfs (race conditions in autofs4,
fixed in 5) and the kernel is getting too old for current hardware.

> The "everything" repository exists and I use a local copy of it to do
> yum upgrades. Having core and extras combined seems to be a much nicer
> approach than what was done previously. The Unity people have even put
> out a multiDVD "Everything" spin.

A "everything" repository is something different.  "Core" was a bunch
of packages you could all install together without conflicts and you
ended up with something rather nice.  Then extras allowed you to add
what your specific needs required.

The current DVD package list, which is supposed to replace Core from
what was said, does not install as-is (conflict between generic-logos
and fedora-logos, conflicts everywhere with multilib).  I don't know
about the "nice" part yet, I've yet to be able to install it
completely.

> I use static IP addresses and don't have a problem with that. I don't use
> NM though. There are some advanced things I do using iproute2 in rc.local,
> but the plain stuff can be done with system-config-network.

You can't do a kickstart install with a static IP.  It's just a bug,
though, not by design.

> Well, there is definitely pain involved with Fedora. That's best helped by
> having some people volunteer to try rawhide to catch issues early.

All these issues are at installation time and as such don't really
show up in rawhide.

  OG.