InstantMirror initial source repo

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Thu Nov 22 06:03:03 UTC 2007

Ed Swierk wrote:
> On 11/21/07, Warren Togami <wtogami at redhat.com> wrote:
>> This means the server will keep downloading that file multiple times
>> until the file download is complete, then new client requests that come
>> in after that point use the cached version?
>
> Yes. We could try to get fancy and have later requests wait on the one
> already underway, but it's not clear how you tell the difference
> between a file that's still being downloaded and a turd left behind by
> an aborted request.
>
> --Ed

There may be different approaches we can take to achieve what we need,
but I am afraid we may have to think about metadata on the side (outside
of the mirror tree), and possibly tracking these concurrent demands
within the separate daemon.  Unless we intend for InstantMirror to be
more than just a small office mirror (which would be very handy for many
people), we will need to eventually solve this problem.

In any case, great work getting this far so quickly! =)

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com