Packaging Starplot and related data files

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Sun Nov 25 19:11:38 UTC 2007

Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
> On Sun, 2007-11-25 at 19:45 +0100, Hans de Goede wrote:
>> Tom "spot" Callaway wrote:
>>> No, because we'd be distributing the .star files in that scenario.
>>>
>> What about a %post generating them under /var/lib ? I know this ain't pretty
>> but I think it would solve the license issue.
>
> Hmm, normally I'm against this, but if they were ghosted in the %files,
> the package would "own" them, and we wouldn't actually be distributing
> them.

I've done a little more research and I strongly believe that install time
conversion is the answer. The data files in the format which we may distribute
are not modified in essence. starplot comes with a conversion program to change
them to its own format, I guess this is done once by a seperate conversion
program and not on the fly when loading for performance reasons, so the
converted files could be seen as cache files.

Regards,

Hans