Killing maintainers

Andrew Farris lordmorgul at gmail.com
Mon Nov 26 19:56:58 UTC 2007

Michel Salim wrote:
> On 05/09/07, Jesse Keating <jkeating at redhat.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, 5 Sep 2007 22:26:24 +0100
>> "Jonathan Underwood" <jonathan.underwood at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> What is the quickest way of getting this done? Which of the myriad
>>> committees does this need to go through?
>> I will be pushing this through FESCo tomorrow.
>>
> If the mailing list software allows the use of +FOO suffix, an
> alternative to mailing list proliferation is to have a main
> -devel-list (like now), with major subcategories suffixed at the end?
>
> People can then filter and prioritize their list messages accordingly.
>
> Cheers,

A good point, but there are also 'topics' supported by mailman.  There are
currently no topics defined for any of the redhat lists I'm aware of, but they
could be.  The user interface (once logged in) allows everyone subscribed to
choose which topics to receive mailings and which to ignore, and that would
accomplish the goal and reduce the mail traffic on both ends.

If enough people really want to get rid of things like update announcements
coming in on one list, I would think creating a subtopic for the list might be a
good solution.

--
Andrew Farris <lordmorgul at gmail.com> <ajfarris at gmail.com>
   gpg 0xC99B1DF3 at pgp.mit.edu