Changing the rpm default queryformat to include arch

Tom "spot" Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 15:09:51 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 16:59 +0200, Panu Matilainen wrote:

> > For what its worth, I agree. Epoch in the file name is a bad idea.
>
> Why do you think it's bad - because of the ':' used as separator, or
> "just because" (epochs are evil and all that)?
>
> Currently you can store different versions and releases of a package
> within a directory without them clashing - why is it ok for packages with
> different epochs to clash in that situation?

Well, using : as a separator seems like a bad idea, but I really don't
want to encourage epoch use. Its a last resort hack to fix a broken
package when there is no other way to ensure safe upgrades. If new
packagers start seeing it show up in a far more visible way, people will
think that they need to use it by default.

~spot