mounting removable media never seems to work

Warren Togami wtogami at redhat.com
Tue Nov 27 18:28:52 UTC 2007

Florin Andrei wrote:
> Mounting USB sticks, DVDs, CDs, etc - this works flawlessly with other
> distributions I've tried (Ubuntu), but with Fedora it's something that
> seems to stop working randomly, whenever the packages update to jour
> changes something in the system.
>
> I've a F7 system, fully updated, and now when I insert a USB stick, I
> get the HAL error "permission denied: not in active session".
>
> This is annoying because it's something that's supposed to just work. It
> does work in Ubuntu. Heck, it works fine in XP. But not in Fedora.
> Moreover, it's not a new thing. Previous releases of Fedora used to
> display this same problem, which never seems to be solved completely.
>
> It's like "removable media? who cares whether it works properly or not?"
> Come one, people, wake up.

USB sticks and most CD's and DVD's work flawlessly for me on every
release of Fedora including F8.

I did run into some data DVD's that mounted without issue on Windows XP
but utterly failed on Linux.

Some DVD's succeeded in mounting with "mount" commands manually as root,
but failed to mount automatically by whatever GNOME uses.

Warren Togami
wtogami at redhat.com