Should "yum install" be case sensitive?

seth vidal skvidal at fedoraproject.org
Tue Nov 27 22:03:40 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-11-27 at 23:03 +0100, nodata wrote:
> Am Dienstag, den 27.11.2007, 11:55 -0500 schrieb Jesse Keating:
> > On Tue, 27 Nov 2007 10:51:26 -0600
> > Les Mikesell <lesmikesell at gmail.com> wrote:
> >
> > > And the advantage of distributing all this work and making it be done
> > > in a certain order over just forcing case insensitivity would be?
> >
> > If you care about things being found with lower case, the best way to
> > accomplish that is to make everything lower case.  Otherwise you're
> > going to have differences in yum, vs rpm, vs ls, vs http, vs....
> >
> > --
>
> But search is already case insensitive.
>
> When is this useful? When the user is guessing package names?

list is case insensitive so if the person knows the name but not the
case they can find it.
search is also case insensitive but it doesn't just match against
package nevra like list does.

And neither of those commands modify things on your system.

thats why we can be looser with the input we accept.

-sv