Driver transition: via -> openchrome

Adam Jackson ajackson at redhat.com
Wed Nov 28 21:37:16 UTC 2007

On Wed, 2007-11-28 at 20:39 +0200, Jonathan Dieter wrote:
> Will this improve the chances of AIGLX support with VIA's?  I only ask
> because we've just switched over to Fedora from Windows at our school
> and one of the main things that appeals to the students is compiz.
> Right now I've got it working correctly on our three or four-year-old
> nVidia cards and brand new Intel cards, but our two or three year old
> VIA cards aren't supported.

It certainly won't hurt.  This is just changing the 2D driver, the 3D
driver remains the same, but since the new 2D driver will run on more
cards, the 3D driver may do so as well.

One thing to note about AIGLX support on via hardware is that compiz
currently requires non-power-of-two texture support from the driver, and
the via DRI driver does not expose that functionality yet.  I'm not even
sure all via chips _have_ that feature in silicon.  AIGLX on its own is
just fast indirect GL; it's necessary for compiz, but not sufficient.

- ajax