[Rpm-metadata] createrepo 0.4.11

Florian La Roche laroche at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 15:32:03 UTC 2007

On Thu, Nov 29, 2007 at 10:03:04AM -0500, seth vidal wrote:

> On Thu, 2007-11-29 at 16:03 +0100, Florian La Roche wrote:

> > > Again, how does the predictability of order the filelists and deps/reqs
> > > are put into the metadata impact the functionality?
> >

> > Hello Seth,
> >
> > This is about stability of the data. Currently you cannot easily
> > run createrepo and quickly check the output against the existing data.
>
> yes, you can - use the metadata diff tool in createrepo's source -
> dmd.py

Hello Seth,

dmd.py is nice, this wasn't part of earlier releases. I still think
putting this into the format you write out to disk is a plus.

> > > There are as many as 11000 pkgs in some of the repositories we create.
> > > How does it NOT matter if it takes extra time to sort each of them?
> >

> > I am not aware of such limits for python .sort(). 11000 is not a huge
> > amount of data compared to other computations done in createrepo.
> >

> except that your code has us sorting all the files in each of the 11000
> pkgs.

Same data stability problem as above with filename sorting, to not
depend on python ordering.

> also - why  did you cc fedora-devel on this thread?

To open up the discussion, not sure how many people are on
rpm-metadata.

regards,

Florian La Roche