Bootup speed for F8

Eric Sandeen sandeen at redhat.com
Thu Nov 29 22:44:16 UTC 2007

Dimi Paun wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> I've currently upgraded to F8, congrats!
>
> Just thought of sharing a data-point for startup speed
> (measured from GRUB, so excluding all the BIOS stuff):
>   * to graphical init: 30s
>   * to login prompt: 1m8s
>   * after login, to responsive state: 14s
>
> That's 1m22s to start. On a good desktop: Intel Duo 2.13GHz, 2GB RAM.
> With the BIOS thrown in, it takes over 2minutes to be able to get
> into the box.
>
> That's rather slow, no?

Readahead was not installed by default in F8 because it appeared to be
doing more harm than good, without careful custom configuration.  But,
you could try installing the readahead scripts, and see if it changes
things.

Or, if you already have readahead installed due to the upgrade,
chkconfig it off and see how that goes.  :)

-Eric