Re: When should sysctl be run during boot?

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
Hi.

On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:27:10 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:

I could be wrong, but I don't think anything exports a seetting that
is only changeable with sysctl that is not also changeable by echo'ing
to a file under /proc/sys - sysctl seems rather obsolete in this
respect.

Personally, I prefer sysctl for that. Works better with sudo.

I agree that sysctl (or a similar tool - i'm not religious in this area) is probably wanted, albeit not required on a system. Like I stated somewhere else, sysctl "only" modifies things in /proc/sys that you could easili do with something else. There is nothing that you can do with sysctl that you can't do with echo, cat and find. Apart from having a simple way to set a lot of different values in one go.

/Thomas

/Thomas