When should sysctl be run during boot?

Thomas M Steenholdt tmus at tmus.dk
Tue Oct 2 10:31:42 UTC 2007

Ralf Ertzinger wrote:
> Hi.
>
> On Tue, 2 Oct 2007 10:27:10 +0100, Jonathan Underwood wrote:
>
>> I could be wrong, but I don't think anything exports a seetting that
>> is only changeable with sysctl that is not also changeable by echo'ing
>> to a file under /proc/sys - sysctl seems rather obsolete in this
>> respect.
>
> Personally, I prefer sysctl for that. Works better with sudo.

I agree that sysctl (or a similar tool - i'm not religious in this area)
is probably wanted, albeit not required on a system. Like I stated
somewhere else, sysctl "only" modifies things in /proc/sys that you
could easili do with something else. There is nothing that you can do
with sysctl that you can't do with echo, cat and find. Apart from having
a simple way to set a lot of different values in one go.

/Thomas

/Thomas