sqlite over NFS (locking)

I just recently got bitten by issues accessing sqlite databases over NFS (trying to run pungi on Fedora devel and putting the output on our F7 fileserver). Now, http://www.sqlite.org/faq.html#q5 explicitly states that one should avoid this:

But use caution: this locking mechanism might not work correctly if the database file is kept on an NFS filesystem. This is because fcntl() file locking is broken on many NFS implementations. You should avoid putting SQLite database files on NFS if multiple processes might try to access the file at the same time.

Now, is NFS fctl() locking really broken going from Fedora devel to Fedora 7? rpc.statd is running. Filesystem is exported "sync".

--
Orion Poplawski
3380 Mitchell Lane                  orion cora nwra com