Re: Distributing Fedora packages under GPLv2 3(b)

On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:02:06PM -0500, Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Fri, Oct 05, 2007 at 10:19:11PM -0400, Jesse Keating wrote:
> > On Fri, 5 Oct 2007 20:06:52 -0500
> > Matt Domsch <Matt_Domsch dell com> wrote:
> >
> > > (GPLv2 is somewhat unclear if the 3 years is from the first
> > > distribution, or the last...)  The koji archive with lots of
> > > incremental builds would be many times the size of the SCCM storage
> > > needs.
> >
> > This is what has made me reluctant to venture toward using 3b.  The
> > uncertainty of when that 3 years starts, added to that the people
> > making use of 3c, do we the 3b folks have to keep things around for 3
> > years after a 3c person makes a release?  Does the 3year clock start at
> > the first distribution of an update or does it start with each respin
> > that includes the update but still hosted by Fedora?
> >
> > I'd like some serious clarification on these items

BTW, we've had this discussion before...
http://www.redhat.com/archives/fedora-advisory-board/2007-March/msg00219.html

I've forwarded this thread and the above linked thread to
brett fsf org for comment.  My gut feeling is that using GPLv2 3b
means we need nearly infinite storage somewhere, which last time I
checked we don't have...

--
Matt Domsch
linux.dell.com & www.dell.com/linux