gdm Create User

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Sat Oct 6 22:12:47 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 12:42 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> How about adding the functionality to create user accounts (local or
> network) at the gdm login screen?
>
> I recently installed F8T3 on one machine without reformatting the /home
> partition so my user account's home directory keeps moving from one
> iteration of Fedora to another, but I thought I wanted to see what a
> default desktop setup looked like. So here I was at gdm and thinking
> "Why do I have to log in to an account to create an account at the login
> screen?" Seems pretty logical to add that functionality there. Seems
> like it would satisfy a lot of home and enterprise use-cases, as well.
>
> Thoughts?

Home?
Perhaps. Ideally you create all needed accounts at installation anyway.

Enterprise?
I don't see how, it's not like any user has the root password to create
their own account. You have to ask an admin which is usually already
logged in his own system and will just launch a command from there.

Simo.