gdm Create User

Richi Plana myfedora at richip.dhs.org
Sun Oct 7 01:35:12 UTC 2007

On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 18:12 -0400, Simo Sorce wrote:
> On Sat, 2007-10-06 at 12:42 -0600, Richi Plana wrote:
> > How about adding the functionality to create user accounts (local or
> > network) at the gdm login screen?
> >
> > I recently installed F8T3 on one machine without reformatting the /home
> > partition so my user account's home directory keeps moving from one
> > iteration of Fedora to another, but I thought I wanted to see what a
> > default desktop setup looked like. So here I was at gdm and thinking
> > "Why do I have to log in to an account to create an account at the login
> > screen?" Seems pretty logical to add that functionality there. Seems
> > like it would satisfy a lot of home and enterprise use-cases, as well.
> >
> > Thoughts?
>
> Home?
> Perhaps. Ideally you create all needed accounts at installation anyway.

On Windows, at first I didn't even think multi-user accounts would be
something the regular windows users would want, much less add more
during its short lifespan. However, experience has taught me
differently. On the various Windows systems I've encountered, I've
actually seen regular users create new accounts for friends, relatives,
etc. that weren't created at installation. To some people, it's the
equivalent of the Nintendo Mii.

> Enterprise?
> I don't see how, it's not like any user has the root password to create
> their own account. You have to ask an admin which is usually already
> logged in his own system and will just launch a command from there.

I used to work at a company where Windows and Active Directory was the
standard. Each time a new employee would be given a desktop, the system
administrator would either log on as network admin from the machine he
was installing or go back to his terminal to create the user account.
(In our company, the network admins actually walk to our areas to
deliver the new machine so they aren't sitting around in front of their
machines all the time.) So, no, I wasn't thinking the regular employee
would be creating the account from the workstation but a network admin.
Saves him from having to log on using a different account or going to
another computer (the same scenarios I mentioned earlier).
--

Richi Plana