f8t3 Live on ibm a20m: how do I login?

Trying to run live cd on something, I've tried to run it on an ibm a20m notebook ( 2000 vintage, pentium 3 700mz ).

The gdm throws up the login screen asking for the user name, and says user fedora will login in 60 seconds.

The seconds counter decreases, then goes negative - but no login.

Is there some special login? I've tried root.

sean