yum-updatesd in F8?

Jeremy Katz katzj at redhat.com
Tue Oct 9 20:22:48 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-09 at 22:16 +0200, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mardi 09 octobre 2007 à 16:05 -0400, Jeremy Katz a écrit :

> > > Also, if you're of the camp that thinks even this level of resource
> > > commitment is excessive, the old cron-script based method is now
> > > available as a package on its own, "yum-cron".  Handier for non-desktop
> > > or multi-user systems, but you lose the blinky gnome button.
> >
> > Ultimately, I'd love to have yum-updatesd just activated via dbus system
> > activation, but periodic activation is still relatively important.  This
> > could be via cron, but cron is somewhat problematic for machines that
> > aren't always on :-/
>
> I thought anacron fixed that

I've actually found that anacron makes things worse...  boot laptop,
watch it become completely unusable as anacron kicks off cron jobs that
would have happened when "idle".

Not to mention that it's starting another init.d service (two, if you
count starting crond) which is going to end up offsetting the boot speed
difference of not running yum-updatesd as an init.d service

Jeremy