Re: samba license change

Simo Sorce wrote:

Well there are 2 possible situations:
A) The projects that depend on samba are willing to address the
licensing problem
B) They are not

C) They are willing to consider a move but they need more time.

If A we have time, we are talking about F9, plenty of time.

If B then they have 2 choices:
B.1) Drop functionality
B.2) Implement/maintain/whatever their own SMB/CIFS support

3) Introduce a compatibility package and maintain it for a while before sorting out the licensing details. Samba developers have claimed before they will still provide security and bug fixes for the older codebase for a while so this option is feasible.

Rahul