samba license change

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Wed Oct 10 06:05:06 UTC 2007

> Simo Sorce wrote:
>
> > Well there are 2 possible situations:
> > A) The projects that depend on samba are willing to address the
> > licensing problem
> > B) They are not
>
> C) They are willing to consider a move but they need more time.

I'm increasingly sceptical about this possibility.  This is not a new
issue, or an unexpected turn of events.  If we try and sweep it under
the carpet with a 'compatibility' fork of Samba, then we burden
ourselves with this situation forever.

> > If A we have time, we are talking about F9, plenty of time.
> >
> > If B then they have 2 choices:
> > B.1) Drop functionality
> > B.2) Implement/maintain/whatever their own SMB/CIFS support
>
> 3) Introduce a compatibility package and maintain it for a while before
> sorting out the licensing details. Samba developers have claimed before
> they will still provide security and bug fixes for the older codebase
> for a while so this option is feasible.

If there any real expectation that issues not resolved now (while there
is significant movement in this issue) will magically be resolved later.
Is that expectation worth the complete packaging mess that this would
create?

Andrew Bartlett

--
Andrew Bartlett