samba license change

Hans de Goede j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl
Thu Oct 11 11:45:09 UTC 2007

Chris Adams wrote:
> Once upon a time, Hans de Goede <j.w.r.degoede at hhs.nl> said:
>> So you must distribute it together with a GPLv2 licensed samba, so no loop
>> holes here (luckily!).
>
> Okay, so you distribute both the GPLv2 and GPLv3 libraries, with the
> GPLv2 version named something like "compat-libsomething".  Then it
> depends on which one gets installed as to whether a license violation
> occurs.  If you take the case of anaconda (where the shortest package
> name "wins" to satisfy the libsomething.so.0 dependency), the GPLv3
> library would always be installed.
>
> Or you get crazier and you use the alternatives system; install both and
> let the user switch (but have the GPLv3 version the default).

Or you honor not only the letter but also the spirit of the license and link
GPLv2 only software to the GPLv2 one and GPLv3 software to the GPLv3 one. Yes
this would require a different soname. I would like to suggest
libsmbclient-gplv2.so.0 . This would need to be in a new package and once this
package is in the build-root, kde and other packages which are causing this
pain (IMHO kde is causing the pain here, not samba) would then need to be build
against this before samba gets updated to the GPLv3 version.

Regards,

Hans