samba license change

Till Maas opensource at till.name
Thu Oct 11 14:07:40 UTC 2007

On Do Oktober 11 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 10 octobre 2007 à 23:32 +0200, Till Maas a écrit :
> > On Mi Oktober 10 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> > > ??? Even if you build against gplv2 samba, as soon as the result is
> > > distributed with gpl3 samba and links against it on user systems,
> > > you're in the wrong.
> >
> > Is this really the case? Afaik the GPL only defines rules for
> > distributing the software and rights for receiving GPL software.
>
> Read my sentence again. The *full* sentence

Hm, maybe I do not understand the sentence correctly. Do you mean, that when
some gplv2 software is built using parts of gplv2 samba and the result is in
package foo.rpm and one distributes this with a gplv3 samba, which is in a
package samba.rpm, then this a gplv2 license violation of the gplv2 samba
used to compile foo.rpm?

Regards,
Till