Re: CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le mercredi 10 octobre 2007 à 21:36 -0500, Michael Stahnke a écrit :
I really think an upgrade path for the casual user is required.

Unless they've been dunked, network install/updates should fit the bill

I forget if this ever went anywhere, but I remember some time ago someone suggesting that we should have an installable package that would plop (essentially) the kernel image and initrd from the boot.iso into /boot, and add an entry into grub.conf for the next release's installer. No CD/DVD required, no mucking around to figure out how to get your machine to boot to the optical drive...it'd be just the same as a network install/upgrade. As Matt Domsch pointed out, it could even use our mirrorlist infrastructure to pick the download source. We could even include the stage2.img (optionally, with a non-dependent subpackage that would pull in the main one). It would handle the wants-to-upgrade-but-not-use-yum segment nicely, IMO. Alas, I don't remember if this ever got off the ground. Sure seems like a nice potential target for F-9.

     Jima