CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Jima jima at beer.tclug.org
Thu Oct 11 14:19:55 UTC 2007

On Thu, 11 Oct 2007, Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
> Le mercredi 10 octobre 2007 à 21:36 -0500, Michael Stahnke a écrit :
>> I really think an upgrade path for the casual user is required.
>
> Unless they've been dunked, network install/updates should fit the bill

  I forget if this ever went anywhere, but I remember some time ago someone
suggesting that we should have an installable package that would plop
(essentially) the kernel image and initrd from the boot.iso into /boot,
and add an entry into grub.conf for the next release's installer.  No
CD/DVD required, no mucking around to figure out how to get your machine
to boot to the optical drive...it'd be just the same as a network
install/upgrade.  As Matt Domsch pointed out, it could even use our
mirrorlist infrastructure to pick the download source.  We could even
include the stage2.img (optionally, with a non-dependent subpackage that
would pull in the main one).  It would handle the
wants-to-upgrade-but-not-use-yum segment nicely, IMO.
  Alas, I don't remember if this ever got off the ground.  Sure seems like
a nice potential target for F-9.

      Jima