CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

David Zeuthen david at fubar.dk
Thu Oct 11 23:36:32 UTC 2007

> Chris Adams (cmadams at hiwaay.net) said:
> > >
> > > +1 Exactly this. We should pick packages for an installation that fits
> > > in 1CD. Is anyone already working on a one CD spin, or interested in
> > > working on it?
> >
> > What about using the LiveCD package set?  Would that set of packages
> > plus the regular installer fit as a minimal install/upgrade CD?
>
> Fairly sure it doesn't, but I haven't done a test compose.

>From a theoretical point view the size of 1) a directory containing the
RPM's; and 2) the RPM's installed into a compressed file system (we use
squashfs on the live cd's); are kinda similar since RPM's themselves are
also compressed and carry mostly payload.

In practice this also turns out to be true (and, in fact the live image
contains redundant data such as icon caches etc.). You'd also need to
add the installer, don't know how much it weighs these days, can't be
_that_ much.

     David