gethostby* users

Andrew Bartlett abartlet at samba.org
Fri Oct 12 11:08:17 UTC 2007

On Thu, 2007-10-11 at 23:35 -0700, Ulrich Drepper wrote:

> Even though the situation improved, there are still some programs left
> which use the gethostby* functions.  These really have to be converted
> to use getaddrinfo.  Here is the break-down per package of an incomplete
> installation giving the number of programs/libraries with problems in
> that package.  I.e., there are like more packages on an install-all
> machine.  The full list with the program/library names is at
>
>    http://people.redhat.com/drepper/gethostby-users
>
> Samba is responsible for almost one quarter of the problems.

After some excellent work and presentations by David Holder
<david.holder at erion.co.uk> at the recent CIFS interop there is current
work to fix up Samba for IPv6.  Some parts of the protocol just don't
allow for anything but IPv4, but where we can, things are being updated
for Samba 3.2.

Andrew Bartlett