samba license change

Simo Sorce ssorce at redhat.com
Fri Oct 12 13:35:04 UTC 2007

On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 09:10 +0200, Alexander Larsson wrote:

> > This is interesting, to be sure we should evaluate though if there
> is
> > intimate communication and sharing of data structures between the
> daemon
> > and the client, but things looks much better in the GNOME camp.
>
> It just uses the standard way to put gnome-vfs modules in the daemon.
> Nothing is specific to the smb backend. In fact, any backend can be
> put
> in the daemonb by adding [daemon] to the module config file.

I guess here you are saying: the gnome-vfs interface, is generic and a
kind of standard and so it isolate the work and makes upper layers
non-derivative.

This make sense, and GPLv3 helps a lot in this case as the revised
wording concerning this case is much better than what you find in GPLv2:

        A “Standard Interface” means an interface that either is an
        official standard defined by a recognized standards body, or, in
        the case of interfaces specified for a particular programming
        language, one that is widely used among developers working in
        that language.

from 1. Source code, gplv3

Not sure this apply, may be a bit of a stretch, but it seem a case where
this make sense.

Simo.