Re: gethostby* users

Once upon a time, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> said:
> Ideally they'd just drop support for the obsolete systems which don't have
> getaddrinfo. Even winsock implements it since XP. And of course all current
> POSIX-compliant systems have it as it's part of POSIX.1-2001.

Some of us have to work with software and systems in the real world.

I've seen the page http://udrepper.livejournal.com/16116.html mentioned
a couple of times in this thread.  First, that's a relatively contrived
situation (depending on the client resolver to choose an address
"properly" is poor network design).  Second, I can't find anything that
says getaddrinfo() returns a sorted list.  I checked SUSv3 as well as
man pages from Linux, Solaris 9, and Tru64 5.1B.

The cited RFC 3484 appears to be about address selection in an IPv6
network, while the above page talks about an IPv4 network.

I don't see gethostby* listed as deprecated or obsolete by any standard
group or documentation.

--
Chris Adams <cmadams hiwaay net>