CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Douglas McClendon dmc.fedora at filteredperception.org
Sat Oct 13 21:24:05 UTC 2007

Benny Amorsen wrote:

> AC> Today people still ship new laptops with CD-R/CD-RW drives. Lots
> AC> of them. You can't fit a $30 DVD reader to them.
>
> Is there a handy way to use a USB key for install? dd'ing boot.img
> works fine, but with today's large USB sticks, you might as well stick
> the DVD there too. But how?

Here is the relevant current link.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD/USBHowTo

But there is a vast amount of work that can be done to improve the
situation and provide more flexibility.  I.e. on the simple end, would
be turning the above process into an easy to use GUI.  On the more
complex end, you could do something like using grub2's loopback feature
and modifications to the install DVD's initramfs, to support something
more like what you were suggesting.

And on top of that, there are many, many other interesting theoretical
options that can be explored.  My personal favorite being a LiveUSB with
multiple differing persistence images, each of which could be chosen to
be rebootlessly installed...

-dmc