Re: gethostby* users

Nicolas Mailhot wrote:
Le samedi 13 octobre 2007 à 19:46 -0500, Les Mikesell a écrit :
David Woodhouse wrote:
On Fri, 2007-10-12 at 08:02 -0500, Chris Adams wrote:
I know it is fun to pick on sendmail, but it works well and I can use
it to do things not easily done in some other MTAs.
Examples?
Running MimeDefang is a good example.  MimeDefang runs as a milter

and other MTAs than sandmail support the milter interface (and they also
have non-milter alternatives to MimeDefang)

As far as I know, none of the other MTA's are completely compatible with sendmail in the way (or whether) they expose details that the milter needs to know, like whether a message was accepted with smtp authentication and/or ssl encryption, so I don't think any will currently work with MimeDefang, although it might be possible with some work. And the non-milter alternatives generally suffer from one or more of running under the mailer uid, starting a new process for each scan, making the whole process wait for slow operations, or only having the results after the smtp conversation is completed.

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com