Re: gnome keyring always needs to be unlocked

Douglas McClendon wrote:
Jeff Spaleta wrote:
On 10/18/07, Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:
Encrypted home directories are a solution for a computer which can be stolen. If you're worried about your central server getting stolen, you have bigger security problems than keyring security. ;-) Permissions should be enough to
secure a computer if physical security is present.

Are suggestion that linux laptop users are somehow immune to falling
prey to problem which require  troubleshooting application
configurations stored in a user's home directory?

It's an interesting question as to what 'doesn't matter'. I.e. mail server passwords and other data and configuration stored in ~/.thunderbird. Or everything stored in ~/.firefox. Those seem to me to be things I'd like encrypted by default as a laptop user, in addition to what you described as some special xdg style directory.
Your general data is stored in ~/.thunderbird and ~/.firefox, but your passwords are already stored encrypted in those directories (or should be if you have "use master password to encrypt" set in your privacy/password settings).