CDs DVDs or netboot. Oh my!

Rahul Sundaram sundaram at fedoraproject.org
Sat Oct 20 20:00:34 UTC 2007

Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram wrote:
>> Jeroen van Meeuwen wrote:
>>
>>> I'm not misunderstanding the concept of a LiveCD in any way, I'm just
>>> disagreeing about how important having CD media released by the
>>> Fedora Project is exactly.
>>>
>>> So, not releasing CD sets is like saying you need to yum upgrade
>>> although it is not recommended just because someone out there isn't
>>> using the LiveCD installer because they tried Fedora and felt
>>> comfortable. Someone is actually needing CD sets, and based on the
>>> numbers that has been at least 760 people in the last 4 weeks.
>>
>> I think the better solution is to support live upgrades better and
>> don't do multi arch in live images by default so that they fit into a
>> CD for all architectures.
>>
>> Rahul
>>

> If only we could fulfill todays needs with whatever the future promises.

The need is actually for the next release. There is no reason reason we
couldn't do put more effort into what I had just outlined now onwards
for the next development cycle. We could release Fedora 8 live images
and when we release Fedora 9, we make live upgrades a supported option.
That would solve the actual problem instead of working around it.

Rahul