Thinkpad button regression

Up until rebooting this morning, I used to be able to use the
Fn+<button> combinations just fine with rawhide.  Now, FN+Home, FN+End
don't adjust the backlight level.  This is pretty annoying, because I
also can't dim the backlight through any of the gnome-* apps either.
What changed and how the hell to I get rid of it?

josh