any plans to make wireless more user-friendly in Fedora 9?

Valent Turkovic valent.turkovic at gmail.com
Mon Oct 22 09:36:20 UTC 2007

On 10/22/07, Rahul Sundaram <sundaram at fedoraproject.org> wrote:
> Valent Turkovic wrote:
> >> Have you seen NetworkManager?  In Fedora 7, it usually just works for
> >> connecting to most kinds of wireless networks.  Unfortunately in
> >> Fedora 8, the new NM 0.7 is missing support for some kinds of wireless
> >> networks, and as such is a regression from Fedora 7 [1].
> >>
> >> [1]
> >> https://bugzilla.redhat.com/showdependencytree.cgi?id=336531
> >>

> > I'm using Fedora 8 test 3 with latest updates and I don't see Network
> > Manager running after default setup - maybe that is the only issue?
>
> Note that the Live images do have Network Manager enabled by default
> which is the recommend thing to get if you are a desktop user.
>
> Rahul

That sounds like a great idea, I support the idea of making it on by
default also in DVD install images.

I tried starting NetworkManager under my user account on F8t3 but I
got an error message "You must be root to run NetworkManager!" :(

Please make it on by default also for DVD install images.

One other small issue; I can't find NetworkManager anywhere in Gnome
menue. Where is it located? There is no shortcut that I can see in
Applications or in System menues. It that on purpose? Why?

Valent.

--
http://kernelreloaded.blog385.com/
ICQ: 2125241, Skype: valent.turkovic