Mass Branching for F-8 (round 2)

Jesse Keating jkeating at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 13:43:38 UTC 2007

On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 08:40:13 -0500 (CDT)
Jima <jima at beer.tclug.org> wrote:

>   Out of curiosity, in the next iteration of branching-time, will it
> be (or is it already?) possible for a maintainer to request that
> pkgdb branch their, or ideally, all of their, packages?  It seems to
> me that a packager could kick it off, knowing they're not going to
> make any modifications to their packages until the branching
> finishes, thereby reducing the need to actually lock CVS activity?
> (Okay, some coordination with comaintainers would be necessary, but
> it could still be a good idea.)  Unless I'm missing something (always
> a possibility, and often a likely one), that would minimize the time
> needed for the mass branching. Thoughts? :-)

Well it still requires a CVS admin to do the actual branching of CVS.
We will be allowing for early branching of CVS next release just like
we did this release, although a bit more prominently advertised.

One of the other reasons why we lock all CVS during this time is that in
order to prevent mail flooding we disable the loginfo scripts which do
the diffing and sending of mail.  During that time we don't want other
phantom commits happening to the tree.

We're going to be making improvements to the tools before we get to the
next branch point so that hopefully it won't take nearly as long as it
did this time.

--
Jesse Keating