Multiarch crazyiness

Jon Masters jcm at redhat.com
Mon Oct 22 14:15:03 UTC 2007

> On Mon, 22 Oct 2007 15:59:25 +0200
> Gerd Hoffmann <kraxel at redhat.com> wrote:
>
> > Sure, but usually there isn't a point in having *both* 32bit and 64bit
> > versions of applications installed (which happens by default though).
>
> Applications get dragged in because the libraries aren't split out into
> -libs subpackages.  If they were, then the -devel and -libs packages
> would be available multilib, but the application itself wouldn't.

Right. And here again is one of the major problems. We know what the
problem is, and Fedora has a record of being able to push through
changes once a problem is identified and time thrown at it - why can't
there just be a cut-off date/release by which most of the packages must
have been split out? Then multilib *hacks* can be thrown away.

Jon.