Re: "multiarch conflicts in ..." bugs

Patrice Dumas wrote:
On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 10:12:56AM +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
I've had the following bug filed at the end of last week:

and I've read:

but I've still no idea what I need to do to fix the bug. Can someone explain it in simpler terms?

Looks like there is a bug somewhere since some files look like ELF
files like /usr/bin/camlp4oof.opt? An ocaml weirdness or a bug in rpm?

OK, I think I get it now.

All the *.opt files are native ELF binaries. They're compiled by the OCaml compiler (it does its own code generation) and linked by ld, or rather by gcc used as a wrapper around ld.

$ file usr/bin/camlp4oof.opt
usr/bin/camlp4oof.opt: ELF 64-bit LSB executable, x86-64, version 1 (SYSV), dynamically linked (uses shared libs), for GNU/Linux 2.6.9, stripped

The ocamlrun scripts also look like binary (arch dependent?) stuff
so it is a logical that there is conflict. It certainly requires
something to be done at the rpm level, but I am far from being an expert
on those issues.

The files which begin with #!/usr/bin/ocamlrun are bytecode files. Even though it's called "bytecode" it isn't portable between architectures. It's not like Java bytecode. So consider these to be like binaries too.