Multiarch crazyiness

Richard W.M. Jones rjones at redhat.com
Tue Oct 23 11:29:51 UTC 2007

Jesse Keating wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Oct 2007 10:04:44 +0100
> "Richard W.M. Jones" <rjones at redhat.com> wrote:
>
>> That's wrong for OCaml programs, since strings in 32 bit OCaml
>> programs are limited to 16 MB (but effectively unlimited on 64 bit
>> platforms). So 64 bit should always be preferred.  Having said that
>> we're still waiting for someone to port the OCaml compiler to
>> Linux/ppc64 ...
>
> Ugh.  You would have something different wouldn't you :/

Heh, right.  But I bet this isn't the only case where 64 bit would
always be preferred.  For example libraries which implement lightweight
threading often have seriously low limits on the number of threads
supported unless you use 64 bits, because each stack needs a sizable
piece of virtual address space (not real memory though).  I don't think
you can make a hard rule that 32 bit userspace is always preferred.

Rich.