Multiarch crazyiness

David Woodhouse dwmw2 at infradead.org
Tue Oct 23 14:10:39 UTC 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-23 at 10:04 +0100, Richard W.M. Jones wrote:
> That's wrong for OCaml programs, since strings in 32 bit OCaml programs
> are limited to 16 MB (but effectively unlimited on 64 bit platforms).

That doesn't actually affect anything we ship or might _want_ to ship,
though, does it?

> So 64 bit should always be preferred.

We can build both and normally default to 32-bit; if a package exists
_only_ in the 64-bit version and not for ppc32 (or i386), then it and
its dependencies will get installed.

> Having said that we're still waiting for someone to port the OCaml
> compiler to Linux/ppc64 ...

s/port/debug/

Most of the work is done -- it builds, the native compiler works, and
the test cases I tried it with all work.... except for freetennis, which
segfaults after bringing up the first window. I kind of got stuck there
because it was all static libraries and the debug information was
missing; I need to build it all manually to poke at it.

--
dwmw2