multlib and splitting packages

Ville Skyttä ville.skytta at iki.fi
Thu Oct 25 19:50:20 UTC 2007

On Thursday 25 October 2007, Bill Nottingham wrote:
> Rahul Sundaram (sundaram at fedoraproject.org) said:
> > Bill Nottingham wrote:
> >> Just to note, if you fix multiarch conflicts by moving libraries to
> >> a -libs package, your new -libs package should obsolete the older
> >> versions of the package where the libraries came from. This is so
> >> that yum upgrades work properly.
> >
> > Please add this to the packaging guidelines.
>
> I'm not seeing an obvious place that this fits.

NamingGuidelines has a chapter that discusses renaming/replacing packages, I
suppose this would fit pretty nicely there.  Or while at it the whole section
perhaps moved from NamingGuidelines to somewhere else.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Packaging/NamingGuidelines#head-3cfc1ea19d28975faad9d56f70a6ae55661d3c3d