Re: multlib and splitting packages

On Thu, 25 Oct 2007 20:38:25 +0000 (UTC)
Kevin Kofler <kevin kofler chello at> wrote:

> Doing apt-get install multilib-obsoletes-test or apt-get install
> multilib-obsoletes-test-libs by hand will do the right thing, but
> breaking the dist-upgrade is bad.
>
> An if the packager used this idiom:
> Obsoletes: %{name} < %{?epoch:%{epoch}:}%{version}-%{release}
> i.e. is bumping the Obsoletes with each release, then EVERY SINGLE
> UPGRADE of the affected package with apt-rpm will break!
>
> Please test your hacks with apt and smart too.

Apt and smart need to be adjusted to work with this.  yum is our
package tool of choice and the tool we'll develop our policies and
procedures around.  It's up to the ancillary package tools to be
compatible with Fedora, not the other way around.

--
Jesse Keating